Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hatches - Battened Down




Our house is boarded up in anticipation for Gustav. There was a little neighborhood "lets board up the houses" today. It was nice that everybody helped everybody with the job. We went to Lowes this morning and they had the whole system down where you go and pay for the plywood and hurricane clips then drive around and they load it up for you. Pretty cool except for the 30 minute wait in line for the plywood.
It is getting pretty real that this thing is coming, even though the weather is not in the least bad. It was sunny and extremely hot today with the heat index at 99. But as we were eating out tonight, we saw the Army National Guard come to town in their convoy of military humvees and trucks with water, food, and fuel. They are taking this whole thing very seriously. I just hope that it doesn't do the devastation that Katrina did after all the rebuilding process that has gone on around here. The people around here need a break this time.
Jack and I and the dogs are heading up to my mother-in-law's house tomorrow afternoon. We plan to go to church and then head north. Jim has to work Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday night and possibly more if needed. They are talking about having the guys do 16-18 hour shifts during the crisis. I just hope they keep them safe is all.
I will try to update after tomorrow, but not sure if it will be possible for a few days. Just pray it isn't another Katrina.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn and Jim,
Your father and myself are praying in earnest tonight and tomorrow will have Sunday School class pray also. God let it not be as bad as we are all now thinking. Keep my daughter and her family safe along with so many others who are praying tonight and tomorrow.

-LGirl- said...

My thoughts are with you and your family this can't be easy for you!

The photos make it especially real.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dawn!
I'd forgotten that you'd moved down there! My tho'ts and Prayers will be with you and everyone down there!
Evelyn (Your Mom gave me the heads up!) And I LOVE your Jackaroo World Blog!!! =)