Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Back To Normal

We survived Gustav very well. We had absolutely no damage, except for one tree limb fell down. Jack and I had a mini-vacation at Grammy's and Aunt Ann's and Aunt Carla's, where he was spoiled beyond belief. On Monday, he literally stayed in his pj's all day long. It was a very lazy day for all of us as we watched the weather channel most of the day.

Just a little editorial here on the coverage. I get so irritated with the media because I really do believe that they have absolutely no idea that Mississippi exists. It got to be hilarious after awhile as most of their coverage was in New Orleans where they had like no weather at all. They kept showing the same baby palm tree down about fifty times. However, to the west was where the actual hurricane landed and then to the east where Gulfport is, the guy standing out there could hardly stand up. But they insisted on covering New Orleans. And at one point, they actually said that Gulfport was on "the southeast shore of Louisiana"! Excuse me? I live in Gulfport, MISSISSIPPI! Just a little irritation is all.

Jim had to work Sunday night, Monday night and Tuesday night for 12 hour shifts. I guess he slept through the whole thing during Monday in the very dark boarded-up bedroom. Also he housed a couple of other cops on his shift to sleep the day away at our house. It is funny, because I have always said that man could sleep through a hurricane and now he has.

We came home yesterday morning, which was probably not the smartest thing I have ever done. When we left, it was drizzling and no weather at all. However, we got almost half way home and we were driving through the WORST weather that I have ever driven through in my life. We were on the interstate and literally inching our way. At one point, I could not see anything at all, very much like a fire hose spraying on the windshield. I decided to pull off and we went to McDonalds to sit it out. I watched a lake form in the next parking lot and the fools driving through the water up to axles. I was contemplating going back to Grammy's house, but heard that they were having severe weather with tornado warnings, so I decided to head south once the rain let up a bit. It was very nice to get back home, which took twice as long as it usually does.

Everything is back to normal today. Jack went to school today and all the businesses are back open today. They moved the tons and tons of sand off the beach road and even that is open again today. Thank God that it wasn't Katrina. But it looks like we aren't out of the woods yet for the year with more tropical storms out there brewing. Even with all the threats of hurricanes, I still love this place and wouldn't move. But it would be better without all the humidity and the stupid love bugs every year at this time of year. Hate those things.

1 comment:

-LGirl- said...

I am glad you are all doing fine.
The thing I hate about the coverage here is that because this hurricane wasn't a catastrophe, so they immediately start scaring people with the next two on the way! It was almost like they were disappointed that there wasn't a tragedy to report.

Sleeping through a hurricane!LOL that's a good one!