Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Update

If you were reading the blog a few days ago about Jack making fun of the boy at church who had a speech impediment, well I had a breakthrough on the subject yesterday. It seems that Jack really truly thought the kid was talking funny on purpose just to be silly. And it makes sense because I really don't think that he has ever encountered anybody like him before. He brought it up yesterday morning as we were getting ready for school. He told me that the big kid was talking really funny. I told Jack that the boy had an accident by falling off his bike and hurt his brain and that is why he talks like that all the time. He is not doing it to be funny. He can not help it. I watched Jack take that information in and try to digest it. At first he argued with me saying that the boy did not have an accident quite emphatically. But when I argued back that yes he indeed have an accident, I saw Jack crumple in tears right in front of me. I think he finally got it. He understood that the boy could not help how he talked. A lesson learned about being sympathetic...hopefully.

No comments: