Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Brandi

It has been two weeks since Brandi moved into our home. I have to be honest that I was scared to death. Leading up to the big day, I was having anxiety attacks about what this decision would do to our family. I tried to pinpoint what exactly I was afraid of and I really could not pinpoint one particular thing, other than it was an unknown change to everything. But God would not let me back out of this and kept niggling my brain that this girl needed us. And he was right.

When I think of Brandi's mother, I can't help but get angry. She threw away three girls (from different fathers) all because of drugs and men. Brandi floundered and wasted away in the system for the past 6 years being shuffled from one home to another facility. So that when we met her last summer, I don't think I have ever met an angrier girl in my life. She was living in the girl's group home with 8 other girls whose parents threw them away as well. I remember when I first met Brandi, I did not have nice thoughts for her. But Jim could see something of himself in her and started to show her some love. By the end of the week at the youth church camp, she was actually smiling and joining in the activities. She was opening up to us and telling us a little bit about her life. She just needed love like all of us does. She never had the opportunity to feel that unconditional love that Jack and Laura take for granted. That every child needs and deserves.

Last night she told me that she has never been happier in her life living with us. She has fit right in and is a pleasure to have in the house. She goes to church with us and is enjoying being part of the youth group. She has raised her grades to As & Bs. How she managed to get to 15 without being a drug-addict, school-dropout, or worse, is beyond me. She is a good kid. And I really can't wait to see what the future holds for her.

2 comments:

-LGirl- said...

I am so glad to hear that it's going well. YAY!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dawn, I am SO HAPPY that you connected with this lost girl!!! And so proud of you to take her IN!! =) I was looking at the Easter pics and posts and was wondering who she was!! So I clicked on the Brandi link and found out! =) So Wonderful!!! =) And she looks like she fits right in!! Love to ALL!!! =) Evelyn