Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Mardi Gras. Before I moved to the Gulf Coast, I really had no clue what Mardi Gras was or entailed. But ya'll, it is a HUGE Holiday here. I mean business and schools close down and the entire area goes nuts. And the parades. Oh my goodness. The parades! For a month leading up to the big day of Fat Tuesday, there are countless parades all over the coast. We went to one a couple of weeks ago and came home with more Mardi Gras beads than we need. But it is so much fun. As the floats go by, they throw things to the thousands of people ranging from beads, t-shirts, toys, stuffed animals, and candy. And you would be surprised how people are downright mean by shoving people out of the way just so they can get those cheap beads! It is crazy.

I had planned to take the kids to the big Biloxi parade this afternoon, but my stupid non-existent immunity has caught the crud that has been going around the area and the thought of standing out on the side of the street with thousands of other parade-goers just didn't seem as much fun as it did yesterday when I felt better.

However, Jim gets to go to the big one tonight in an official capacity. He gets to try to police all the crazy and drunk people. Hahaha. He should have some stories to tell when he gets home.

Happy Fat Tuesday ya'll! What are you giving up for lent tomorrow? I am giving up diet coke. I thought about giving up sugar, then I laughed. Yeah right with Jack's birthday party this weekend, that ain't gonna happen. So diet coke it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your a better person than I for giving up Diet Coke!! That & my coffee....my family has no idea who I really am w/o either one!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mardi Gras days to you. I guess just about each day is Fat Tuesday for me. I need to just give up all sweets for the 40 days. Happy birthday to Jack from Grammy and Papa.