Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Soccer and My Thoughts



So today is the last day of the soccer season. It has been a long three months of playing soccer every Saturday morning. There were some REALLY cold days (38 degrees) and we were out on those soccer fields. Burr.
Truthfully, I am hoping that the weather forecast is right today and it really does rain because I am so done with the whole soccer thing. I have a bad taste about the whole thing. Jack was put on this team with this coach who's son is like a little soccer dyamo. Yes he is good, but I can tell the Dad really works him with a lot of practice. There are 6 players on Jack's team and only three play at one time, so the coach is supposed to rotate the players in and out during the game. Well this coach never rotated his own son out of the game and he usually played his three best players 90% of the time. Since Jack is not one of the best players (the kid got my athletic ability) he sits on the bench moping because he's not in playing. Last week, I finally had enough and said something out loud to Brandi about how the coach's son never gets benched and the coach must have heard that because he actually benched his son ... for 2 minutes. But it was to the kid's screaming fit for having to sit out.
Anyway, I am pretty sure we will not be doing soccer next year. I mean it was for 4 and 5 year olds and I had a mother come up to me and tell me that Jack needed to get in a lot more practice to be effective on the team and maybe I should sign him up for a workshop! They don't even keep score at this age! Yes I am fed up. I just wanted Jack to get out and get some exercise and have fun and it turned into this competitve cut-throat thing at four years old!
We are starting T-ball in two weeks. I have a better feeling about this sport and I think Jack will enjoy it a lot better. Just pray for rain today and we won't have to go to the last game!

3 comments:

-LGirl- said...

We did Outdoor soccer for 3 years with Piper. It began in May and the weather was still parkas and wool hats. Miserable!!! Plus it was 2 nights a week. I swore never again. Sadly Quinna is the one with the athletic talents and she will be missing out I just can't go through that again.

As for the rude parental comments. My gosh! while we were playing 1/2 of them ran the wrong way and froze when they actually got the ball. My gosh!

Kelli said...

That's really a bummer about the whole experience. Better luck with T-ball.

Anonymous said...

When we were down there at Christmas time, we noticed how the coach was not a good to encourage his little players. Jack will like T-ball much better. I still love the pictures of Jack doing anything. He is a very happy boy and it shows.