Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Aborted ER Trip

Yes, last night we were in the ER again for the boy. Thankfully, it was aborted.

He started off yesterday in a great mood. We went to the mall in the morning to go to the JCPenney sale. They were having a 60% off sale on the dishes I wanted to get to feed the thousands that are coming to my house this Thanksgiving. And we were there because Santa was coming to town. Don't get me started on this whole Christmas "season" that starts in October, but I just do not like the fact that Santa comes to town BEFORE Thanksgiving. Just not right.

Anyway, he was supposed to drop out of the sky with his reindeer and parachute into the mall parking lot. Cute idea I guess. So we were standing around with 3000 other toddlers looking upward waiting for Santa only to see him just casually stroll out of the mall with Mrs. Claus. No reindeer, no parachute. I guess it was too windy for Santa to jump and risk the very probable fall into the ocean 300 feet from the mall. So yay Jack got to see Santa and shook his hand. We told Jack that we would come back and talk to Santa later to discuss the getting-toys situation. Yes he does have a list for him already. I think he is really getting the whole idea this year. Should be fun.

So then we went and met the Uncles at a craft fair near Jack's school. It was a great day to be outside strolling through 25000 (give or take) craft vendors. Literally the fair was about 3 miles long. However, about 30 minutes after arriving at the fair, Jack started really whining and complaining. He would not walk and we did not have a stroller (we have not used that thing since we were at Disneyworld in June). So we decided to leave early and headed home.

We got home about 4:00 in the afternoon and I took his temp then. He had 101.2 temp. I gave him some tylenol and laid him on the couch in front of some cartoon. At about 7, I noticed he was shivering and I though to my self "uhoh". I took his temp again, and it was 103.2. Not good. So I gave him some more tylenol and held him on my lap. At 7:30, I took his temp again and it was 103.8. At that time, Jim and I made the decision to go to the ER. So we both got dressed and put Jack in the car in his jammies and away we go to the ER. He was pretty much out of it and shivering a lot at this time.

We get there and of course wait and wait. We hear the stories of the current ER cases in the waiting room. There was a wedding party there in tuxes and dresses. I guess somebody at the wedding had a heart attack. There was also a teenage girl who was there with a severly broken nose and a huge fat lip. I guess she fell while skating. And from what I gathered, she enjoyed telling everybody she knew very loudly on her cell phone - all while blood was coming out of her nose. Lovely. There were two other little boys about Jack's age who were there for the same reason as Jack.

During our wait, I could tell Jack's temp was going down and he was starting to come back. They called us back to assess him and took his temp, which had gone down too 100.8. She told us to go back out and wait some more. So we go out to the waiting room and that is when the Jack that we know and love came back. The kid, who just an hour earlier was shivering and totally out of it, turned into Energetic Toddler. He was running up and down the hall, waving his hands around and saying "hi" to all the wedding party people.

So we came home. No ER bill. Can you say Yay? And no 5 hours spent sitting in the ER. He is still sick, but his temp has stayed lower today. It was about 101 last time I checked. Oh and I guess it takes a sickness to get Jackaroo to take a nap these days, because thankfully, he is now napping. Yay!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Poor Jack! I'm glad he is feeling better though. Those high fevers scare me.