Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Monday, July 30, 2007

Being a Cop's Wife

I am a cop's wife. He works 12 hour shifts at night. I know it is NOT an easy job. I don't think I can comprehend the situations that he has been in nor the people that he has to deal with on a nightly basis. I hear a little about some of the cases, like the family disturbance with an 8-week-old infant in the middle. Or there was the case of the guy raping a 2-year-old little girl. I am sure it is very hard to restrain and not kill that person.

However, there is the other aspect of the job. The one that I think about every time he walks out the door, I fear the worse. And every morning when he walks in at 7 am, I feel at peace once again. Most days I am okay with this because I know it comes with the job of being a cop's wife. But there are days like today, when it is 8:30 am and still no sign of him and I keep calling his phone to no answer, that I am at my worse. I don't want to be one of those women who freak out over a few minutes late (although I am, but don't let on too much), but a full 90 minutes later, I am completely and 100% freaked out. So I call the police station and sure enough, he is there and is in the middle of processing a DUI, which I understand takes a whole lot of time to process. So after talking to him for 30 seconds and realizing he is still alive and kicking, my adrenaline-rushed body turns to anger. Could he not have called for 10 seconds just to say "hey I'm here"???? Argh. I will never get used to this. Ever.

No comments: