Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Big Announcement

I have a big announcement to make. Jim and I are becoming foster parents to a 15-year-old girl that we met last summer on the youth trip we chaperoned for church. Her name is Brandi and for some reason we made a connection with her. We since learned her story and found out that she has been in the foster care system for the past 6 years ever since she was abandoned by both her parents. Her mother is in prison and her father is not in the least father material. She has been in numerous foster homes and she is currently placed in the Methodist girls home.

It has been a long process with lots of prayers and thoughts leading up to this decision. I feel that God placed Jim and I on that youth trip for this reason and we are supposed to take this girl in. But that doesn't mean that I don't have a lot of fears and reservations about the whole thing. There has been so many times that I have wondered what in the world are we doing? How is this going to affect Jack? How is this going to affect our family? Can I handle being the foster parent of a troubled teenage girl? Am I ready for this commitment?

Tomorrow is the home study and if all goes well, she should be placed in our home within the next week. I am scared, excited, nervous, thoughtful and prayerful all at the same time. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great news Dawn. I will pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Praise God. I think that God was in this plan for sure for Brandi to come to live with you and Jim and Jack and when Larua comes home there too. God will work wonders in her life and you will understand more completely God glorious plan as time goes by.

-LGirl- said...

I am curious, Is this something that the 15 yo has a say in as well? Does she know she is coming to you?
What a lucky girl