Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 26, 2008

I am so stupid ... Or The Things We Do For Our Children

It is Mardi Gras season here in the south. Now when we lived in California, I had absolutely no idea what Mardi Gras really was. Ha! I was naive. It is a huge thing here. There are countless parades to see.

So there I was today. Jack and I were out in the cold today running errands and whatnot. I decided to slip into Cici's Pizza (totally ignoring the fact that I am trying to be "good" on my diet) for some lunch before going home. As I was sitting there, I noticed out the window that the cops were out there setting up for the parade today. I thought to myself, "why not" and decided to stay around for the parade. After all one of the main streets was already closed off. So the parade was supposed to start at 2 pm and Jack and I wandered outside about 5 minutes before that. It was 54 degrees and kind of spitting rain. I had no jacket (just a sweatshirt) and Jack had a little one on, nothing really warm. We stood there for 45 minutes waiting for that stupid parade to start, all the while the temp was dropping and the rain was turning more and more into sleet. I am thinking to myself that Iam absolutely stupid for doing this, but I wanted Jack to see the parade, and after all, I had all this time invested, I had to stick it out.

So finally the parade gets to us and we get more bead necklaces than we can hold or wear. We also get a sports cup, stuffed animal, candy, moon pies, and various other crap thrown at us. I admit it was fun. Jack was dancing to the music and entertaining everybody around us (all the other stupid fools standing out there). And the big highlight of the parade was the fire truck at the end, to which I cheered along with Jack not because it was a fire truck, but because the parade was over. By that time, our hands were so cold, we could not even move our fingers and it was definitely sleeting and we could see our breaths. I was never so glad to get in the nice warm car.

Oh and I had just been to Walmart and bought milk and the milk was still cold by the time we got home! We stood out there for a total of two hours and I learned one thing, the shoes I had on that I bought from a Christmas gift card were the perfect Disney shoes. My feet didn't hurt in the least.

Now just watch Jack and I will get sick from this, just in time for Disney.

No comments: