Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Work Blues

Okay, I know that part of my problem is that I am coming off a week and half vacation and I have so much to catch up at work, but I just have to say that I HAVE THE WORK BLUES!!!

First off I'll just explain what I do here at work. I was originally hired on as "The Accountant" which included all aspects of the accounting and also human resources/payroll duties. Well in the last 6 years, my responsibilities have grown to now include the following: Purchase Manager, Production Manager, Inventory Manager, Accounting Manager, Human Resources Manager, oh and also answer phones and take orders when needed (which is a lot of days it seems). I am working 4 days a week and feel like I do the job of equivalent of at least 2 full-time people if not 3 and I am totally burnt out!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love being busy and hate being bored, but I have stepped over the line of busy into some sort of chaotic world that I live in for 4 days a week between the hours of 8-4.

I am so tired when I get home from work, it is all I can do sometimes to feed, bath, and put Jack to bed before I crawl into bed myself. As far as housework, I usually try to cram that in on the days off - the days that I also want to spend with Jack because I feel like I totally ignore him on the work days.

During our vacation, it was great just spending time with both Jim and Jack as a family - something that doesn't happen a whole lot in our crazy and chaotic schedule we have. Jim's job is even crazier than mine. His schedule can be 6 am - 2 pm one day and then something completely different the next day. His days off change weekly and he very rarely gets a weekend off. So our family time is unfortunately limited. Then there is the Laura factor and trying to schedule her visits with us and taking her to school and picking her up on the days we have her.

I really can't quit or even cut back on my hours because it is so expensive to live here in Southern California. It takes a fortune just to eek by. Paying $2.60 a gallon for gas means that we spend roughly $500 - $600 per month just on getting to and from our jobs! We both would love to move out of the state where we could afford a nice house with what we have in equity in our current house and live so much simpler, but there is the Laura factor again. We can't leave her.

So here I am at work whining about all this and really really looking forward to jumping in the car for my hour long commute home and seeing my Jackaroo and Jim. Thanks for listening!

No comments: