Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I Have Become One Of THOSE

You know the type of woman I am talking about. The one who constantly talks about her children and nothing else. Her life revolves around her children and have no other topics to talk about. I am afraid that I am turning into one of those.

We were invited to friend's house for dinner last night. It was a good-bye to us - well Jim anyway, since who knows when I will be leaving. They are good friends and I actually used to work with her a few years ago when I did taxes. She and I are both accountants and you would think we would have a lot to talk about.

After the usual preliminaries of how is work going, how was the tax season last year, yada yada yada, our topics just dried up! I mean after the preliminaries, it was back to the topic, my favorite topic, of Jack. And I caught myself saying "Jack this and Jack that and did you know that Jack did that the other day." And being a person who used to HATE hearing about other people's children, mainly because I was going through infertility at the time, I understand the blank stare and the nodding just to be polite. I guess the good thing was the men were nonstop talking about Navy stories and kept the conversation going. But now my question is, when did it happen? When did I become one of those women who only talk about their child? And the other question is, do I want to change it? I mean what other topic is better than Jack?

3 comments:

Kelli said...

I am SO right there with ya!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I remember the eyes rolling when I would bring in pictures of you back when. I didn't care. You were the cutest kid around.

Amanda said...

Dawn your a cool mom!!! I do the same thing about my kids.
You love your Jack and that shows. I think it's okay.

My husband and I are going on a date this weekend with our friends. All day with adult converstaion what are we going to do?