Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 31, 2006

I know that we will look back and laugh...

however, I do not think that time is here yet. We made it to Mississippi last night. Let me just say if there is anybody out there thinking of doing a cross country trip with two cars, four animals, two over-stressed parents, and one toddler, just think again. No, it was not fun.

The movers left our house around 6:30 pm on Monday. It was an extremely emotional day for me. I was doing fairly good until I went to pick up Jack at daycare and that is when I lost it. She gave me a photo album of all the pictures that she took over the past two years. It was so sweet with captions and all. It was very hard saying goodbye to her.

I came home with Jack and again lost it when all the neighbors kept coming over with cookies and such to say goodbye. We had really nice neighbors. And then I lost it at the end when Jim was taking Jack through the house saying goodbye. Jack said goodbye to his room, bathroom, Sissy's room. It was heartwrenching and I just had to get out of there.

We got on the road around 7:00 and about 15 minutes into the trip, I realized that I did not have the remote to the dvd player in the van. A big uh oh cause you basically can not play any dvd that has a menu. So we pull over and start to pull all the crap out of the van in search for the golden remote. We found it and was soon back on the road.

We made it to Phoenix after midnight. I think I can honestly say that I was exhausted. Probably in my top ten times of being exhausted. Tired.

The next day we stopped in Ft. Stockton, Texas. That was quite a fun time. There we were in the room at La Quinta (very pet friendly hotel chain). All the animals, Jack, and Jim and I were sleeping and it was around midnight. All of a sudden our door opens and another family is coming into our room! Jim, in all his glory, pops out of bed and instantly thinks about the cats who could run out the door any minute. He starts to yell at the people to close the door and the stunned people run out the door fast! And no animals were hurt in the process.

Yesterday we drove 950 miles to get here in time to get the cats into the boarding kennel. We were on the road at 4 am and got here with about 30 minutes to spare before the kennel closed. We had to drop the cats off in boarding because Jim's brother's dogs are allergic to cats. Go figure.

So here we are now in our new home. The past week or so has been a huge blur. We found out that our house closed escrow yesterday and we should have our money in our bank account sometime today. We stopped and saw the new house. It is looking almost all done. They just need to do the landscaping and that is it. And I have to talk to the mortgage company about the new loan today. And Jim just left to go to the police station to show up for all his new hire stuff.

I am so looking forward to just sitting down and doing absolutely nothing, especially if it has nothing to do with driving!

5 comments:

-LGirl- said...

Congrats! You have made it! I can't wait to see pics of the new home and neighbourhood!

Claire said...

Even though it sounds like it totally sucked, you did it! It's over! Congrats on hanging in there. I can't wait to hear about your new adventures in Mississippi.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I am so proud of you and Jim making it across the country with the two dogs and the two cats and my grandson. Wow! what a trip you made. There was not one minute that your father and I didn't think and pray about you all making it safely. Thank God you are all there now.

Carolyn said...

You made it! Woo Hoo. Welcome to the South. So glad everyone arrived safe and sound, although exhausted. The really hard stuff is over so now you get to work on the fun stuff like moving into the new house. Would love to see some pics when you can.

RB said...

Glad you made it safely!!