Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Only a Week?

We have been here a week now and it seems a lot longer than that. We became official Mississippi residents last Friday by getting our new driver's licenses. Of course, just like in California, it was a huge long wait. Do they have some federal mandate stating that getting your driver's license must have a minimum of 2 hour wait or something? During our wait, Jack made friends with a little blonde named Hope, who was 6 months older. And when she was leavng he yelled out to her "bye girl!". Always the ladies man.

After our marathon wait at the driver's license, we headed to get our cars registered and after having dropped some serious cash (found something that is more expensive in MS than Cali) for two new license plates, we were all official and legal like in the state of Mississippi.

We spent the long weekend up at Jim's mother's house. Of course Jack was quite spoiled with all the attention from his grandmother and aunts.

Jim started his new job yesterday and got sworn in and all. I am very proud of him and he looks very dashing in his uniform.

We are hoping to be in our house by Friday. Of course that will happen if all the stars line up just right and we jump over about a thousand hurdles. If we are not able to get into the house on Friday, then we must spend about a thousand dollars for short term storage (as in 3 days) for all of our stuff. The moving company called me yesterday and said they are delivering our stuff no matter what and if we don't have a house, then all of our stuff gets unloaded into their warehouse and then loaded back up when we close probably Monday. Ugh why does everything have to be so hard and stressful. Trying to balance the builder and the mover is like doing a high wire act. And I am not very graceful!

We are staying with Jim's brother's house right now and even though they have been great to us by cooking great meals for us every night and letting our dogs run free of the house while their dogs are locked up, I still want my own house! I guess I should say I want my own bathroom more than anything. Cause I totally hate showering in somebody else's shower. I feel like I am invading their private space or something.

I have been planning in my head what I want to do with the house and how to decorate it. I even have all the paint colors planned out in my head and what theme I am going to use for the kitchen. It is really funny because the vinyl tile in the kitchen is almost exactly like what we had in our old kitchen. Hopefully someday I can replace all that out with hardwood floors, but for now they work. And the cabinets are the same cabinets except the new ones are a touch more cherry color and they actually have hardware on them. And I really didn't notice it until I was showing a friend the floor plan and she said that it was very similar to the floor plan to our old house. I guess we just know what we like and what fits for us. What I really like is that the community has a swimming pool that we can go to and wear some energy off for Jack. I will try to remember to take pictures today and post a few.

And as for Jack, well I have been trying to find a place to take him one or two mornings a week for some schooling and socialization. It seems that all the so called preschools around here are just daycares and do not have any part-time openings. However, just yesterday, I found that the church we might end up going to has what is called a "Mothers Morning Out (MMO)" program. I have never heard of that and it is just what I need to save my sanity. I didn't get all the particulars when I called because they were busy, but hopefully I can get Jack into that soon, like yesterday!

So that is our update. Really did not mean to write a novel here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, How wonderful to hear that you are maybe going to move in tomorrow. I am so happy for you all. You didn't think this was going to be easy, but you will all get there. Church sounds great for Jack to go to "MMO." You will see how everything is going to be working out for all of you. I have been watching for an update every morning.