Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

On The Mend

Well it seems that Jack is finally on the mend. Yesterday was pretty hard on the little guy. He kept battling a fever all day. As I would give him tylenol every few hours, you could see the effects kick in because he suddenly would be up and playing with his trains about 30 minutes after I gave him the medicine. But after about an hour or so of playing, he would be back on the couch feeling horrible again.

I took him to the doctor yesterday afternoon. He took one look in Jack's mouth and said the word that I have come to hate - "Strep". As he went off to test the swab for strep, I had visions of dousing the house in rubbing alcohol and disinfectant all over again. I still remember very painfully two years ago when Jack, Laura, and myself all came down with strep throat at the same time. Jim and his super immunity stayed clean. It was also how we got our second cat, Sammy, that Jim found on the side of the road when he went to get medicine for all of us. I was too sick to protest keeping the cat. So, yes, I hate that word now.

Thank goodness, it came back negative. But he did have a very red and inflamed throat and raspy cough. So he is sick with just some bug he caught somewhere. I did a very stupid thing after the doctor's yesterday. The doctor told me that I could give Jack some ice cream or smoothies to help numb his throat. So we stopped at Smoothie King and we both got some smoothies and went home. We were home about 30 minutes and he was laying in the chair and bam, he threw up all over the chair. Strawberry, very pink, smoothie (can you say stain). So I rushed him to the bathroom where he proceeded to throw up some more in the toilet. As I stood there watching him, he seemed like an old pro at throwing up into the toilet, even though this was his first time doing the deed. Poor thing.

But he is doing better today. He managed to sleep the entire night without a fever coming back. And that means I got to sleep the entire night also. I tell ya, I am tooo old to do that middle of the night thing anymore.

It looks like another day at home for us. It is driving me crazy because I have been cooped up in this house since Sunday afternoon, except for the hour trip to the doctor yesterday. I need out! Maybe today, I can get out into the backyard a bit. Jack is not quite so clingy today and needing me to hold him like the last two days. I hate to say this, but I missed my energetic, non-stop little boy. I mean you can watch the same Thomas video just so many times before you go legally insane.

On a sad sidenote, I just wanted to let my family know that I am thinking of them today as they have to bury my Uncle Bill today. He died on Sunday at the age of 78. That makes my father the last surviving sibling from his family, even though he was the oldest. In remembrance to Uncle Bill.

1 comment:

Steffie B. said...

Hope little Jack is feeling better soon!