Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

It Is Sad This Is Needed

I saw a piece on Good Morning America this morning about children dying in hot cars when they are left alone. They mentioned that there is now a devise that you can hook to the car seat and it will go off if you get more than 10 feet away from your baby!!! Is this really necessary? Do people really just forget they have a child in the backseat??? Do you really need a reminder when you just happen to forget you have a child? Sort of like when you forget you left your headlights on? Sadly and obviously there are people out there that need this since there are so many deaths per year by people just walking away from their cars with their babies left to burn up - literally. Are they really that busy?

Now I don't know about you, but whenever Jack is in the car with me (99.9% of the time), I have never ever forgotten he was there. When he was an infant, I kept looking back in my rear view mirror to see his little face in his little mirror, just to know that he was alright. I never for one split second forgot that I had a child back there. And now, with his constant chatter about trucks, trains, planes, and pretty much any other mode of transportation, it is just impossible to forget that he is there. I even find that I drive a lot more carefully with him in the car than not. I am more willing to be more patient and wait for traffic a few seconds more, just so that my child is safe.

And for those who leave their children INTENTIONALLY, well I have to respect for them at all. They know better and unfortunately the small ones have to pay the price for the adult's stupidity.

I think it was a sad day when this alarm was created and that it is at all needed.

1 comment:

-LGirl- said...

Agreed. I am to the point that I freak out if there isn't a child with me. Seriously I'll have a "shopping on my own night" and get a sharp intake of breath with an "OMG where are they?" Then I realise, okay home with Dh and a quick sigh. Ahhhhhh!!!!Shopping alone!LOL!