Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

School Issues ... Already

I found out yesterday that Jack did not get the teacher that I wanted at his preschool. There are two teachers for the 3-year-old class and one of them is absolutely phenomenal. Miss Jackie is the perfect preschool teacher who is bubbly and energetic and oh-so nice. She and I formed a friendship last year when I would help out with the parties and other things. I absolutely heart her. And I was not shy in letting everybody know, including the director of the preschool, that I wanted Jack in Miss Jackie's class. In fact that is really the one reason why I signed him up to go to this school again this fall, and not try to find a school closer to home. As it is, I do drive 20 miles to this school.

But, alas, Jack got into Miss Brianna's class. Miss Brianna is about as opposite of Miss Jackie as you can get. I have spoken with her a couple of times and there is no energy, no enthusiasm, no life. She is the equivalent of a wet noodle, so to speak. In fact, one of the other mother's said to me that if her son got her this year, she was going to pull him out of that school. But she doesn't have to worry, because she got Miss Jackie. Supposedly, they put the older threes with Miss Jackie and the younger threes with Miss Brianna, with February being the cut off. Jack got shafted being born 5 days into March. I even called Kelsey, Jack's awesome teacher from last year to see what she had to say about Miss Brianna, but she really couldn't say anything. But she told me that I was not the only one who was concerned and she understands my feelings.

So now I am really wondering about the whole thing. Is she really as bad as all that? Will Jack still thrive in her class? His two best friends are going to be in the other classroom, how will he take that? Should I look around at the preschools closer to home? I love the christian-based curriculum they have, but I know there are two other preschools near here that are run by churches.

Miss Brianna is coming tomorrow for the home visit that all teachers do before the school year starts. I am going to see how she is and how Jack reacts to her before I make up my mind. I may just go visit the other preschools today and maybe get on their waiting list, just in case.

Argh, I did not think that school issues would come at the age of three! But I guess they do.

1 comment:

-LGirl- said...

Here's my take. My 9yo has never been the the class I wished she had been in. I have learned that these different people have different and helpful views on my child.... I have learned and my child has benefited.
Kids learn from meeting all sorts of people. Unless she's abusive, Jack will benefit. Honestly it's more about the school mates that the teacher anyway...
Good luck. BTW You can request a change if you are certain this teacher doesn't work for you and Jack.