Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

You Have to Check This Out!

For all my fellow Mommies out there - you have to check this site out. It has a great system for getting your child to do their chores. I found out about it yesterday when I went over to Jennifer's house so Kyle and Jack could play. Jennifer told me that she heard about it from Katie, another mother at Jack's school, and she saw the proof that it works first hand.

Anyway, it is basically a board that you put up on your wall and you hang these cards with chores printed on them and when your child does the chore, they put the card in the "I did it" slot. At the end of the day or week, you with your child count the cards in the "I did it" slot and they get the same number of tokens as cards. They can either spend their tokens for something small, like candy, right then or save them for something bigger in the future. It teaches them responsibility, counting, and the idea of saving.

It is called "I did My Chores" and I am very excited to start this system. I kind of started it last night when we were getting ready for dinner (spaghetti - no refrigerated items needed) and I asked Jack to set the table. He went and got the placemats out of the drawer, then he got the forks out of the drawer and set them oh so neatly. It was so cute and he was so proud of himself for doing that. I let him have a piece of candy after dinner.

I will let you know how it works out. I need to sit down and figure out what chores and what rewards he gets. Jennifer had an idea for a big reward to go to the Big Rat's house aka Chuck E Cheese. Considering how much I hate that place, that will be a huge huge reward!



1 comment:

Steffie B. said...

Hmmmmm.....I'm going to look into this more a t nap time. Thanks for sharing. When are you coming to MI again?