Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, August 31, 2007

It Should Not Be So Hard!

I never knew that preschool could be so hard. I am really torn up about Jack's preschool issues. You see, we went to the "get acquainted day" and I went in there with a wide open mind about his teacher. I really wanted to give her a chance and boy did she fail miserably. First off, this woman has been to our home only two weeks ago and met me, Jim and Jack. You would think that she would kind of remember who we were when we walked in. But she did not know us and had to ask Jack his name again and then me. So strike one within 30 seconds.

The other strikes came when the teacher just stood off in the corner and did not interact at all with the kids. I mean not once did she go up to them and want to play with them or show the room or anything! She just stood there. And she didn't even talk to us parents unless somebody walked up to her to ask her a question.

The final blow was when I found out that one little boy named Kamden from his class last year was not coming back like I had thought, mainly because of the teacher. And two other little boys, were being dropped also, again because of the teacher. So that meant that Jack would of been in a room with 6 girls and one other boy who was moving away in November. Now, that just don't cut it for me. Jack is all boy and he needs boys to play with. When I brought this observation up with the director, all she told me is "Jack will make friends with the girls", meaning she was not going to change the classes around. But he wasn't making friends that day because he was sitting in the corner by himself and none of the girls would play with him. My very social child was relegated to the corner by himself.

So with all those strikes, we have made a decision to pull Jack out of that school. And believe me it is tearing me up inside. If he had gotten the good teacher with his two good friends Kyle and Seth, I would have been one happy mother, but I am not going to keep him in a school with a teacher who should not be teaching three-year-olds and where he has no friends! I know this is tearing me up more than it should, but I guess it is because I was really looking forward to this school year with the other mothers who are now really great friends and the great teacher I so wanted him to have. But it all blew up and now he isn't even going to that school now.

So Jim and I went and checked out a Christian academy that starts out with PK-3 and can go through high school if we wanted to keep him there. It is more money, but I do feel he will be getting an actual education versus three hours of playing, they are a bit strict, but I think that is good, and they wear uniforms. The uniforms are just polo shirts with either khaki or blue pants. I feel bad because I know Jack is going to miss his old school and his old friends, but I do think he will flourish at the new school, or I hope so. The school for the Pre-K is half day everyday, but as they told me, if I am not ready for the full five days a week, I don't have to take him everyday, but I do have to pay the full money of course :).

I honestly did not know that it would be so hard and that the decision to put him in the new school would upset me so much. Argh! This parenting thing is hard with all these hard decisions. Geesh. Oh and I caught the crud that Jack had for a few days. My sinsuses are about to explode with the pressure and basically feel like total crud right now. Fun times!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm with you on pulling him out of that school. NO WAY should that "teacher" have acted like that. I know that it's not an easy decision, but I think you did the right thing. Even though this new school is more money, you'll have a piece of mind knowing that Jack won't be shoved off in a corner! GRRRR...that makes me upset that the director would say that about him playing with girls. I've been in rooms were the numbers weren't the greatest but that's outrageous!! Always remember...if you don't stick up for him, who will?? That's always been my motto for my boys... Have a great Labor Day weekend

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's alot to handle. I think you made the right choice, she does NOT sound like a teacher. Not one bit.

Erin said...

I 100% support your decision. I made a similar decision last year after we met Ben's potential preschool teacher/went to the "get acquainted" day... I pulled him RIGHT out. It meant he didn't go anywhere last year, but in the end it worked out for the best and we found such a better place to send him this year!!! Good luck to you... I'm sure Jack is goign to do GREAT at the new school! :)

Erin said...

p.s. I would write a letter to the preschool explaining your concerns and reasons for pulling him... they should be aware of the impressions parents are getting of her/the school!