Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, July 30, 2005

How to Unload and Load a Dishwaster with a Toddler

Yesterday because the dirty dishes were reaching to the ceiling, I realized that maybe I should unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher and load the dirty ones in. Not a hard job right? Wrong!

It went something like this:

Open dishwasher and it all starts okay. Jack starts to hand me the clean dishes to put away and thinks he's a good little helper. Of course, I exclaim "Thank You" everytime. However, the problem arose when I wanted to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. You see Jack doesn't believe in actually putting dishes in the dishwasher. No he would much rather put his little body in there instead. So after I dig him out of the dishwasher (yes he was all the way in there and laughing his little head off) about 3 times, I firmly tell him "NO". He gets the hint, sorta.

I start loading dishes in the top rack. All is going fine while Jack is amusing himself with the pulling out all the tupperware out of the cabinet. Then I had the audacity to want to load the lower rack. I put a plate in, he takes it out and adds it to his collection of tupperware strewn all over the kitchen. Then I put a cookie sheet in and he takes it out and starts running out of the kitchen with it in his little hands. I run off after him and catch up with him in his room, where I see him sliding the cookie sheet through the bars on his crib! OY! I grab the cookie sheet, walk back to kitchen dragging toddler behind me.

By this time, I am sweating big time (trying to save on that air conditioning cost ya know) and cursing under my breath about a certain toddler taking only a 45 minute nap today.

So I finally finish up the dishes. After wrangling the detergent out of little hands, I put the soap in close up the soap-lid really fast before little hands get in there and spread soap all over. Then I say "okay close it up" and he does. It is his favorite thing to do - close the dishwasher door. He even tries to push the button to turn it on. Smartie pants knows which one turns it on.

I then, proceed to clean up the tupperware and put all that away. Phew dishes done! Elapsed time: 52 minutes. Time it should of taken: 13 minutes.

And I wonder why I never have a clean house?

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Unloading and loading the dishwasher is a major chore at our house with little hands too....AND closing the dishwasher door is like Andrew's favorite thing to do, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh it is almost impossible over here as well! THen, if I ever do get it unloaded/reloaded, babybeaux just keeps stopping and restarting. The current solution is to put the baby gate in front of it while it runs.

Anonymous said...

Kids and their dishwashers... I don't get their fascination! My little girl is the same way. It's become such a major chore to load and unload that it rarely gets done anymore!