Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Who Does She Think She Is?

A friend of mine recently led me to this article. It made me so infuriated that I am sure my blood pressure, normally quite low, went sky high. It basically is this woman who had the nerve to go on tv condemning those of us college-educated mothers who decide to stay home and raise our children ourselves.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that working mothers are wrong or anything in the least. After all I was one of the working mothers until just 4 months ago. But I really take offense at this bitch who is telling me that I am wrong in wanting to stay home with my son instead of going out and working.

Here is a quote from her mouth "I think it's a mistake for these highly educated and capable women to make that choice [to stay home]," said law professor and working mom Linda Hirshman. "I am saying an educated, competent adult's place is in the office."

Who does she think she is telling me that because I am educated my PLACE is in the office and NOT with my son? Give me a break!

Part of her stupid logic states that the divorce rate is so high and she insinuating that once women leave, they can never get back into that office. I beg to differ, I know that if by some unbelievable chance that I find myself single again, that I know I could get back right into working with a decent salary in a matter of weeks. That is absolutely stupid nonsense.

She also can not understand how us *educated* people can feel fulfilled without working. Quote "I would like to see a description of their daily lives that substantiates that position," Hirshman said. "One of the things I've done working on my book is to read a lot of the diaries online, and their description of their lives does not sound particularly interesting or fulfilling for a complicated person, for a complicated, educated person."

Excuse me Hirshman, but I am MORE fulfilled being at home taking care of my family, watching my son grow and learn than I ever was sitting in an office with deadlines, headaches, problems, and stress.

"She asks why should business schools give advanced degrees to those who don't use them?" So I should give back my degree to the business school that gave it to me just because I am staying at home? Kiss My ASS. I worked hard for that degree and nobody can tell me that I am *wasting* it.

Ms. Hirshman, I feel pity for you because you obviously have no idea what it is like to be able to raise your child and watch him or her grow and thrive. I have pity for you because obviously YOUR entire self-worth is wrapped up in your title at work. For me, the only titles I care anything about are WIFE and MOTHER.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are more fulfulled than any working Mom could ever feel. Ask her to listen to Dr. Laura. She totally agrees with you. I am just so happy that you can raise him yourself and not some daycare.

Kelli said...

Ok, I haven't even read the article yet and she totally ticks me off!

Anonymous said...

Everything in balance. God, Family, Play, Work. The balance is: now it is time to stay home with the Boy.

It's good for him and total enjoyment for you!!!