Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Compassion - Jack Style

Erin posted yesterday a link to a news article about raising compassionate kids. It was an interesting read. But I never thought I would witness such compassion coming from my own kid only hours after reading the article.

When I went into Jack's room this morning trying to dodge the minefield of toys that are always strewn about his room, I happened to step on his Gordon train, which hurt. Alot. As I was limping around trying NOT to step on another landmine with the other foot and trying NOT to say some choice words that would soon be repeated by the boy, I noticed him doing something. He reached down and picked up Gordon and cradled him tenderly while saying "I sorry Gordon she stepped on you" and giving the train a kiss. He then looks up at me with such disdain in his eyes and with an accusatory tone said to me "You stepped on Gordon!". No mention of my poor foot that was throbbing at the time. No, he only had compassion for his little wooden train.

But it gets better. For the next hour, he cradled Gordon in his arms and kept telling him "Sorry Gordon". Or he would tell me "Gordon sad. I need to keep him all warm."

So that proves it. Gordon and the rest of the trains rank higher than me.

No comments: