Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, January 26, 2007

Reprieve and Long Weekends

I got a reprieve today. Jim took Jack out today to go get haircuts and do some guy things. I think those guy things involved going to the police station where Jim works to pick up something, which Jack loves because that is where the "police cars live". Even though we have a police car parked in our driveway every single day, the police station is ultra cool because there are many many police cars. And it is located across the street from the fire department where the "fire trucks live". How incredibly exciting is all that? Yeah. I know. Ooooooooooo.

But I got the afternoon to myself! Let's all say Hooray! I love these days. They come about once every two weeks where I can be alone. I can watch what I want to watch (no Thomas, no Sesame Street, no History Channel!). I can read in peace and no interuptions. Life is wonderful. And I deserve it because we are approaching "THE LONG WEEKEND" weekend. Every other weekend Jim works Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night and sleeps pretty much when he's not working. So that makes for very very very long weekends with the boy. Him and me. Staring at each other expecting the other to do something to entertain us. It usually involves the showing of The Polar Express at least once. Yes, I know it is January. But it makes the boy happy.

So on the agenda this weekend might involve a Mardi Gras parade or two. People, did ya'll know that Mardi Gras happens this time a year? Because when I lived in California, I had absolutely no idea when or what Mardi Gras was. All I knew that a lot of people got drunk in New Orleans and showed a lot of boobs. But who knew that this entire area goes crazy??? I mean there are a few billion Mardi Gras beads for sale in Walmart! In Walmart people! Right there next to the cat food! And parades! Good grief, I think there are about 20 parades in the next 2 weeks within 20 miles of here. No you don't have to go to New Orleans and show your boobs there, it can be done in your own backyard here! From what I hear, that the parades here are very family oriented and no bare-chested anything happens here. But seriously who knew Mardi Gras was practically a major holiday here! Wait a minute, it IS a holiday here. The kid's are out of school for that week!

But the problem is with all the excitement in the air and all the parades and those 500 billion beads being sold by Walmart, I still do not know why it even exists! I think it has something to do with Lent and all that, but do people really need to show boobs?

So after all that, I might just eat up some time this weekend by standing in the cold catching Mardi Gras beads from floats going down Main Street. Weird.

No comments: