Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Who Knew?!?

We, in the Jackaroo household, have been having a bit of trouble with the potty training thing. In fact, I was thinking that we were going backwards. We have tried the bribe method. Jim bought two trains (Lady and Scruffy for those in the Thomas know) and put them in our glass cabinet. We kept telling Jack that if he went in the big-boy potty, he could get one of them. But it didn't work. In fact, everytime we mentioned the word potty, he would start to cry and yell "NOOO".

I pretty much given up all hope of having him potty trained by his third birthday. In fact, my biggest hope was by next September so he can go to the 3-year-old preschool in which they require potty training. But, I have to admit, I was not so sure THAT deadline would even happen at our current rate.

Then this morning, I was given a small ray of hope. He had a substitute teacher today because Miss Kelsey was home with her sick son. So I was talking to the sub today when I picked him up and she just very matter-of-factly told me that Jack went pee pee on the potty. Like it was nothing big. I, of course, practically yelled out "WHAT?". I guess he sat on the potty twice and went pee pee! Now my question is does he do this for Miss Kelsey and if so why hasn't she told me?

I now know that I have to get serious about this potty training and take the advice from my SIL who says to spend a day playing with underwear on or even naked and make sure he goes into the bathroom every 15 or 20 minutes. She also said that I might want to be in a non-carpeted place, but I figure, I can just clean the carpets. It will be worth it if I don't have to buy another diaper EVER. What will I do with all that extra money? Oh yeah there's tuition, new shoes, bikes, pants, college, car .......... Sigh.

3 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Oh I hear you! A few weeks ago Sophia was telling us non-stop that she had to go. I thought, great.....however, I'm not hearing it too much right now, and I know I have to do the all day thing as well. Yes....and to think what else I could buy with my diaper money!

Anonymous said...

Grammy A Gives Jack a big hug for him using the big boy pottie chair. Now you can put the extra money into somthing like his school next year. Happy for you, but remember he will have many accidents.

mommyofkgrc said...

Hooray for Jack!! Every little step HELPS. . .He may surprise you one day and simply declare that he is going to use the potty. . . and DO just that. . .that's what my colin did. . .after i about packed it in. . .