Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Getting The Urge

I got it bad I think. The big IT is redecorating Jack's room. I just spent about 30 minutes looking at toddler beds online. I really like the Thomas the Tank bed, but not sure I like it for $200. I know that when we do redecorate the room, it is going to be in Thomas motif. That's a given. The boy is so over-the-top crazy about Thomas, we just can't do anything else. So the question is to get him (and spoil the child even more!) the $200 Thomas toddler bed or another much cheaper (like under $100) toddler bed.

My other quandry is letting him sleep in a non-crib. In other words letting him sleep in something else besides a cage every night. I like the fact that when I put him down, he will stay there until I go pick him up in the morning. I am just not sure I am ready for his potential wanderings during the night. I know that at some point all kids have to make the transition because lets face it, they can't stay in cribs until they are 10 years old, right? But my question is how do parents get any sleep knowing that their little toddler has the potential to just wander during the night? And do you shut their bedroom door and just childproof everything in their room? But isn't that dangerous? Yeah Yeah. I know, I am being overprotective here.

The next question since I know it HAS to happen, is WHEN. Do I wait until after Christmas and all the excitement of having grandparents and auntie staying here? Or do I transition him soon so he can show his grandparents what a big boy he is sleeping in his big boy bed?

Questions! Decisions! Man this is hard!

4 comments:

mommyofkgrc said...

my oldest (now 6) was out of a crib at 18 months. . .she just hated it. . .my other 2 girls stayed in until they climbed out which for dd#2 was at 2 1/2 and dd #3 was at 2. . .i then put them both into a toddler bed and put a gate up at the door that way i could leave the door open when they went to sleep and not worry that they would wander near the stairs. . .my son is jack's age and i plan on leaving him in until he too can climb out and then we'll go the toddler bed route one more time. . . i think it depends on the child my oldest hated her crib she slept better in her big girl bed. . .

you'll make the right decision for jack. . .based on his personality and needs. . .

-LGirl- said...

Unless he's climbing out (which is dangerous) I wouldn't make the switch for a bit.
But.... I am on kid #2 and I am clinging to every biit of babyness I can! With dd #1 I wanted her do everything early, so she was out of the crib into a reg twin at 20 mos.

Anonymous said...

We're planning to make the switch to twin bed by the time Mo is around 2 (since she has already been able to get out of her crib). I'm skipping the whole toddler bed phase.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't planning on the toddler bed, but I saw a friends last week and it really might be the way to go. I plan on keeping beaux in his crib as long as possible so that I can continue to get a good nights sleep!