Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Saturday, October 15, 2005

One Week Later

Well it has been one week since I started following the diet prescribed by the doctor I saw at the wellness clinic. And I am a true believer now! I waited until now to mention anything on the blog because I wanted to give it one whole week, but I can now say that I feel like a completely new person! It is truly amazing. Before, I literally thought that there was some dreaded disease wrong with me. I could barely function and walked around like a zombie not enjoying life at all. Everything was a chore, including just getting out of bed or playing with my son. I forced myself to trudge ahead and just do it.

But now, I feel like the weight of an elephant has lifted off my shoulders! Literally! I can't put into words just how much life has improved for me. I now jump out of bed at 6 am or before not feeling like I need another 10 hours of sleep, but feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. I have WHOLE days where I do not have ANY headache whatsoever. Before, there was never a minute that I did not have a headache. The headaches were just varying degrees of pain is all. I don't walk around in a mental fog and it literally hurt to think before. Now I am able to do my job so much better and efficiently. Kind of ironic that my boss gets on me about not being at work enough when I now FEEL good enough to work. HA! His loss.

I feel like my old self. My self that was BEFORE Jack invaded my body. I kept telling people that a year and half later, I still have not recovered from pregnancy and they would laugh, but it was the truth. I have read a couple of books (and this one) about this condition this week and both of them say that pregnancy is a factor in how this starts. Also my pre-eclampsia during the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy worsened matters. Part of that was my fault because during my 5 week bedrest (torture), I pretty much ate non-stop and all nothing but bad stuff.

The diet itself is pretty easy to learn, but hard to follow at least in the beginning. For the past week, I have had NO sugar of any kind, including natural sugars from fruit. I have had NO bread, pasta, dairy. I have had a lot of vegetables (any veggies except potatoes and corn), tuna salads, chicken breast (made some really yummy chicken the other night). I made fajitas last night and just did not have any tortillas. The first couple of days were really hard. We went shopping at the Commissary last Sunday and all the halloween candy was sitting there and I was literally salivating! But the last few days, I have no more cravings for sugar and in fact, am rarely even hungry! But I noticed that when I do get hungry, it comes on fast!

I have been taking vitamin supplements also that are supposed to help kill off the yeast in my system. I have even managed to lose about 4 pounds! Who knows maybe by the time Jack turns 2, I will actually be back to the weight I was when he was conceived!

My dramatic difference has shown itself in other areas. My house is cleaner, laundry is caught up, and I have made dinner almost every night this week. My disposition is much better also. The proof was last night when I took Jack and Laura to Toys R Us to buy diapers and check out stuff for Xmas. I saw that the play doh sets were on sale - buy one for $9.99 and get another for free. So I picked up 2 of them. When it was rang up, they charged me for both and the incompetant girl at the cash register was rude to me saying that it was no longer on sale. I argued that the sign was still up and I want my $10 back! Well after 15 minutes of a manager coming and going and doing who-knows-what, I finally got my $10 back. If this had happened before, I would of probably tried to get that poor girl fired. Everything would just set me off. Talk about permanent PMS!

So yeah, I highly recommend this diet to anybody who is feeling like crap and wondering why.

1 comment:

Claire said...

So glad you're feeling better -- and especially that you found a doctor who LISTENED (and especially who got it right!).