Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

It is only 4 days old?

The year that is. 2006. It is only the 4th? It has been quite a year so far. It all started New Years Day. We had spent the night New Years Eve in the desert at my cousin's house. It was fun. We went four-wheeling through the desert. Jack and Jim went for a little motorcycle ride. Jack LOVED it all. We camped out in a trailer. It was fun. I have pictures I'll post later.

THEN the next day. Jack threw up all over my cousin's kitchen. I thought hmmm maybe his little tummy can't handle the egg nog he had. Didn't think too much of it. So we packed up and left and decided to stop for breakfast at Denny's. We walked into to Denny's and Jack proceeded to throw up ALL over the floor in the restaurant. And like in slow motion I saw the vomit project out of his mouth and the look of horror on the other people as they were trying to eat. It was horrifying. Of course, it felt like it took them 5 hours to bring out a mop. Oh and the smell - yuck!

So that's how the year started out and it just got worse from there. We ended up going to the ER that night because he had been throwing up constant for 12 hours. While there it was quite an experience. Let's just say Jack was not the ONLY one who was throwing up. All around us there were sounds of people hacking up lungs. Lovely.

The worst experience as a mother also happened. They had to put an IV in Jack to get some fluid into him. He was severly dehydrated. However, it took 4 pokes to finally get the IV in and then it was in the foot! He was screaming so hard that I just lost it and started to cry myself and wanted to yell at the people (3 people tried to get a vein) to just stop it! But once they finally got the IV going, he started to perk right up. He went from a deathly pale to rosey cheeks in just a couple of hours. We were there until midnight! Five Hours in the ER! Fun! They did push a tv with kid videos to us so we could at least entertain ourselves a bit.

While we were there, they had a few traumas come in. One of them was sooo sad, that I have thought about it several times since hearing about it. The EMT guy who kind of befriended us let us in on what was going on. Evidently there was a 30-year old woman who was in a car accident. She was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the car. She was bleeding on the brain and didn't look like she was going to make it. The really sad part was she had a 1-month old baby. I have just thought about that so much. How horrible. The ER sure is a depressing place.

Well I hear the boy is awake and gotta go check on him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ER is fascinating, I met all kinds of people there in my recent experience. It gave me a lot of insight into what people are going through. Sorry you had to learn about it though! Thats terrible, glad he is doing better. Nothing worse than seeing your little one sick. I heard a statistic that in my county, 67% of fatal accidents involved drivers without seat belts. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Nothing like starting the year off with a bang.

Mrs. Flinger said...

I'm glad he's better, too. The ER is just a horrid place to spend time. UGH.

Here's to a mucho better 11.9 more months of the year!