Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Jack and Sleep (or Non-Sleep)

Jack is usually a really good sleeper. His routine is a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and then down for the night around 7:30-8:00 until about 7:00 in the morning. I have always felt sorry for those who had toddlers who just did not sleep. I don't know how they do it because the first 3 months of Jack's life when he would not sleep for more than 2 hours just about killed me. But ever since then, he has been so good and I know I need to be saying some major thank you's to the sleeping gods for that.

So what happened last night? I put him down at 7:30 and he just sat in there and talked to himself and his stuffed animals for about an hour. Then it was all quiet. Until about 2:30 when poor Daddy had to get up to leave the house to be at work at 4:00 am. Then he decides to test his lungs out and make sure they work by screaming. After about 15 minutes of this lung testing, I go in there. Change his diaper thinking that is what is bothering him. Put him back into his crib, try to soothe him and tiptoe out of the room. Nope, not gonna do it. So we do a dance for the next hour or so of him screaming, me going into his room, him quieting down, me going back to bed. So finally about 4:30, I bring him to bed with me as we watch the Disney channel. Yay! Gotta love Little Einsteins and JoJos Circus at that time of the morning. Then at 5:30, I notice he is getting sleepy. I put him back in his crib. And guess what he is doing now? Yep, he is having some deep, philosphical conversation with Doggie. I figure let him stay in there until he finishes the solving-world-peace-talk and goes back to sleep or he decides to tests his lungs again. So until then, here I am blogging. I have a feeling it is going to be an interesting day.

Oops, he just started to test his lung. So I guess we up for the day now?!? Yep it is going to be a fun day.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Now you have entered the insane world of what it's like at the O'Neal household. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I really don't know how we do it...we just do. On bad days, I drink a lot of iced tea during the day -- caffeine helps a lot, and I know that's a no-brainer, but I will recommend it to you anyway because I know, after nights like this one you describe with Jack, that you almost have to have someone coach you on how to tie your shoes.

I have had my meltdowns about it, lemme tell ya, but I think the only thing that keeps me going is telling myself that (sigh) somebody has to be up with him at night, that his not sleeping is not my fault, and that eventually it will get better. And, though it is by no means ideal, his sleeping has, and is, getting better.