Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Friday, September 02, 2005

We made it!

Jack and I made it to Michigan yesterday. Let me tell you that having Jack on my lap for FOUR HOURS in a cramped seat with no place to go, is NOT FUN! Traveling is so not fun with him, especially by myself. After we arrived in Detroit, it took a good 2 hours to get the luggage and then take the shuttle to the rental car place. Yeah that was fun loading the luggage, stroller, carry-on bag, and Jack on the stupid shuttle bus with no help! Geesh what is it with people today don't you think they could take 20 seconds out of their rush to get wherever to help somebody out who needs a few more hands? Geesh! When we got to the rental car place, there was an hour wait just to get to the counter! Now I understand the importance of those rental car gold service plans. So then we finally get through the line and trudge out to our car in the huge lot, rolling both the suitcase and stroller mind you, only to find that they had put an infant rear-facing seat in the car! I then emit a few swear words and realize that I had to trudge back to the counter (picture Steve Martin in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and that was me) to tell them that I needed a car seat for a toddler. They made their little call and said that they will replace it. So again, I trudged back out to the car (again picture Steve Martin) and voila right seat is installed. Yay!

So I think to myself okay all I have to do is get in and drive the couple hours and I will be home free. But Jack starts screaming. He is hungry - super hungry and come to think of it, so am I. So I pull off at McDonalds and get him a Happy Meal and me one too. And he's starts to eat in the backseat. All is good. For 10 minutes. Then because we are driving west and well it was sundown time, the sun was straight in his eyes. He was NOT a happy camper. I don't blame him. He was tired and had been through a rough day and was such a little trooper through it all. I really was proud of him yesterday.

But we finally made it to my parents house. Jack had one bad fall this morning. The sliding glass door was open and he thought it was closed and went to lean on the glass and took a tumble down 3 steps. He now is sporting a big fat lip and bruised cheek. Poor thing.

Also, I found out last night, that Jim volunteered to go help out with FEMA down in New Orleans. So he is leaving sometime this weekend and will be gone for at least 2 weeks, probably more. I know I shouldn't be upset, but I was. He was going to pick me up from the airport and now he can't. I was pretty mad at him on the phone. But he said to me today that he has it all covered and is having one of our friends pick us up. And another thing, it is soooooo hard when he is gone. That single-parenting thing is tough! I get no break it seems. But I do know that it is for a good cause and all, it is just going to be tough.

2 comments:

Marty said...

I was supposed to go to Michigan this week (Saginaw I think), but I got out of it by refusing to go because the Buckeyes have their first game of the season. I told my wife if they could verify that the game would be on TV there I'd go, but they never did look into it. With gas prices the way they are I'm glad we're not going. It would have been $100 or so for a roundtrip.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is awesome that he is going to volunteer! Um, would have been nice if he cleared it with you first, but...Yay! I know how you feel, I would be torn between screaming at Mr. Belle and kissing him for being so sweet.